Monday, May 19, 2008

COMFORT FOOD NIGHT!!!!

Tonight was definately a comfort food night. I'll be walking extra miles after this one!
I made a spiral sliced ham along with Scott's favorite side that we call That Corn Dish. A friend from town gave me the recipe stating that 1/2 of the town makes it on Thanksgiving. I shared it with a bunch of friends who now also make it for Thanksgiving. You can't have it more than a few times a year because it's sooo unhealthy! Then we had my Grandmother's favorite way to cook cabbage which is now PJ's favorite also. It's an old Dutch recipe that was handed down to her. When I first made it I ended up in the ER needing 12 stitches from shredding the palm of my hand! Now I'm more careful! Last but not least, a healthy side, steamed carrots mixed with my favorite herb, dill. Here's the recipes:
NANNY'S CABBAGE
1/2 head of cabbage, shredded
5 slices of bacon cut into 1" pieces
a sprinkle of caraway seeds
a few dashes of black pepper
a little salt if you wish. I don't add the salt because the bacon is salty enough.

In a pan, saute bacon until brown. Put cabbage in pan (yup, in all that bacon fat!). Add the rest of the ingredients and cook until cabbage is wilted. I like to cook it so some of the cabbage is actually getting golden in color. That's is, simple and delish!


THAT CORN DISH

1 can of creamed corn
1 can whole kernal corn - lightly drained
1 stick of better, melted
1 pkg corn muffin mix - Jiffy works best
1 cup sour cream
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all and put in a casserole dish. Bake 45 minutes or until center tests clean and top is a little golden in color.
I haven't met ANYONE that doesn't like this dish!

Steamed Carrots mixed with fresh chopped dill. That's it... no butter or salt! The ONLY healthy part of the meal! YUM!

No comments: