Saturday, August 2, 2008

FRUIT PIZZA....

Today we're supposed to go to Stew's beach house in Atlantic Beach. Every year they have a 'Cornell Get Together' so friends can catch up on everyone's lives. I decided to bring a dessert that wasn't the usual chocolate cake or chocolate chip cookies that so many people bring. I wanted something different with a little of the WOW factor! I had remembered how impressed PJ was years ago when we went to a travel lacrosse game upstate and a mother from the opposing team shared her dessert with our team. It was a Fruit Pizza. Her's was huge though, in an actual 16" pizza box! I decided that this would be the dessert to bring. I decided to cut out the crust making part and simplify things. I bought a tub of sugar cookie dough from the supermarket. I used a rolling pin to spread it on the pizza pan and I then baked it at 350 degrees for probably 25 minutes. I kept going back and looking at it until it had a nice light golden color and looked a little dry. It always hardens more after it cools. It's so humid out that I thought it would be too soft if I made it the day of, so I made it yesterday. Everything else was ready this morning and it took maybe 15 minutes to put the whole thing together. I have it waiting in the refrigerator. I hope it tastes good!!!

FRUIT PIZZA
INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 3/4 cup sugar until smooth. Mix in egg. combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until just blended. Press dough into an ungreased pizza pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool.
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla until light. Spread on cooled crust.
Arrange desired fruit on top of filling, and chill.

No comments: