Saturday, October 17, 2009

YUMMY BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP!

We bought a HUGE Butternut Squash from Sauders Market, the Mennonite market that we love by Seneca Lake. It was just sitting on my counter waiting for that special recipe to come along.

I found a recipe on allrecipes.com that had great reviews. I decided that we would be having Butternut Squash Soup along with our Chili for dinner.

I'm glad that I read the reviews because i did change some of the ingredients to go along with what the reviewers suggested. I will mark those in RED. Butternut Squash Soup


INGREDIENTS
6 tablespoons chopped onion
4 tablespoons margarine
6 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash ( I just cubed the whole thing without measuring)
3 cups water
4 cubes chicken bouillon (I used homemade chicken broth that was seasoned in the amt of the water)
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram (didn't use)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese (as recomended, I only use 4 oz, not 16!)
DIRECTIONS
In a large saucepan, saute onions in margarine until tender. Add squash (I actually roasted mine 400 for 45 min. I then threw the cubes into the hot broth for 5 minutes), water, bouillon, marjoram, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to boil; cook 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.
Puree squash and cream cheese in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth. Return to saucepan, and heat through. Do not allow to boil.

No comments: