It wouldn't be typical Lynn if I followed the recipe without making some changes so I'll post them in RED.
Chinese Hot and Sour Soup
(makes enough for 4 light meal sized servings, I doubled it! )
6 dried tree ear mushrooms (also known as wood ear mushrooms) I didn't used either of these mushrooms but substituted about 2 cups of chopped shitaki mushrooms
6 dried black mushrooms
8 dried lily buds (otherwise known as golden needles)skipped these
1/2 cup bamboo shoots
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons Chinese black vinegar I didn't have that so I increased the rice vinegar
4 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon oil
4 ounces pork loin (optional, cooked and shredded) I skipped the meat
4 cups Asian chicken stock (or chicken stock or vegetable stock)I used Veg Stock
1 package tofu (cut into small pieces)
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
1 teaspoon black pepper (ground)
1 teaspoon white pepper (ground)
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons chili oil (to taste) oops... I didn't see that!
1 tablespoon chili sauce (to taste)
4 green onions (sliced)
1. Soak the tree ear and black mushrooms in boiling water until softened, about 20 minutes, and shred them. didn't do
2. Soak the lily buds in warm water until softened, about 20 minutes, and shred them. didn't buy them
3. Cover the bamboo shoots in water, bring to a boil, drain and shred. I just opened the can, rinses them and cut them julianne style
4. Mix the vinegars, soy sauce, salt and sugar in a bowl.
5. Mix the cornstarch into the water in a bowl.
6. Heat the oil in a large pot.
7. Add the pork, tree ear and black mushrooms, lily buds and bamboo shoots and saute for a minute.
8. Add the broth and tofu and bring to a boil.
9. Add the vinegar mixture and the cornstarch mixture and stir until it thickens.
10. Pour the eggs into the soup in a thin stream while stirring the soup.
11. Stir in the peppers, oils and chili sauce.
12. Serve garnished with green onions.