then you grill the watermelon pieces...
Put it all together and you have a beautiful salad!
GRILLED WATERMELON, TOMATO AND GOAT CHEESE SALADYields 6 servings
- 6 slices seedless watermelon, rind removed
- 2 T Pepper Jelly Vinaigrette ** see below for recipe
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 clove garlic,minced
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 sprig basil, chopped
- 2 C tomatoes, peeled (mixed colors of smaller varieties are best)
- 1/2 C fresh goats cheese
- 2 or 3 C young lettuces
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh garden herbs such as chives, chive blossoms, chervil, parsley & dill
Marinate the watermelon in the Pepper Jelly Vinaigrette for several minutes before grilling over high heat. Grill each both sides of the watermelon for several minutes and remove.
In a small mixing bowl whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, garlic, sugar and basil together with enough salt and pepper to tasted.
Toss the small tomatoes with the vinaigrette in the bowl and place on individual plates or a platter along with the grilled watermelon.
Crumble the goat cheese over the top of the tomatoes and watermelon. Toss the lettuces in the vinaigrette remaining in the small bowl and serve over the top of the salad.
Garnish with what ever fresh garden herbs that you have available.
- 1/2 cup(s) pepper jelly
- 1/2 cup(s) red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon(s) sambal chile paste
- 1 1/2 cup(s) canola oil
- Salt, to taste
- Put all ingredients into a bowl and whisk until well mixed.